Salmeterol Xinafoate is a prescription approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). This is used to control and prevent symptoms caused by asthma or ongoing lung disease. The disease is called chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Salmeterol Xinafoate belongs to the class of medication called long-acting beta-agonists. It opens the airways in the lungs to make breathing easier. If you control the symptoms of breathing problems, it might lessen the time lost from school or work. This product comes as a powder for inhalation.
COPD is a progressive lung disease that is characterized by increasing breathlessness. With the right diagnosis and treatment, there are many things you can do to manage the disease and breathe better. People may live for many years with COPD and enjoy life. A COPD symptom frequently doesn’t seem to appear until significant lung damage has happened. They typically get worse over time, mainly if smoking exposure remains. The main symptom of this condition is a daily cough and mucus production. Other signs and symptoms of COPD may include:
- Shortness of breath particularly throughout a physical activities
- Chronic cough that may produce mucus that might be white, clear, greenish, or yellow
- Having to clear your throat first thing in the morning due to excess mucus in your lungs
- Chest tightness
- Frequent respiratory infections
- The blueness of the lips or fingernail beds
- Lack of energy
- Unintended weight loss
- Swelling in legs, feet, or ankles
The main reason for COPD in some countries is tobacco smoking. In the developing world, COPD regularly happens in people exposed to heat in poorly ventilated homes or smokes from burning fuel for cooking. People with this type of condition are at risk of developing lung cancer, heart disease, and a variety of other conditions.
How does Salmeterol Xinafoate work?
This medication acts in the lungs particularly on its receptors known as beta 2 receptors. As soon as the drug stimulates these receptors, it causes the muscles in the airways to relax. This permits the airways to open. In conditions where there is a narrowing of the airways, such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, it is difficult for air to get in and out of the lungs. Using opening the airways, Salmeterol Xinafoate makes it easier to breathe.
Salmeterol Xinafoate does not open the airways as quickly as short-acting beta 2 agonists. However, it does keep the airways open for much longer. This drug starts to work in about 10 to 20 minutes and its effects last for about 12 hours. Where those of terbutaline or salbutamol start within 5 minutes and last for about 4-6 hours. This means Salmeterol Xinafoate is used to prevent shortness of breath chest tightness, wheezing, or asthma attacks, rather than to relieve them.
How to use Salmeterol Xinafoate?
Salmeterol Xinafoate is to be taken using an inhaler device. Inhaling the medicine permits it to act straight in the lungs where it is needed most. It also decreases the likelihood to have side effects in other parts of the body. As the amount absorbed into the blood through the lungs is lower than if it were taken by mouth. Salmeterol is usually used regularly twice a day. However, you should follow the instructions given by your doctor. It may be when you will use the medication or how many inhalations you should use each day. You should not exceed the prescribed dose.
It is very important to learn how to use your inhaler correctly as otherwise, you won’t be breathing the right dose of medicine into your lungs. Instructions will be provided with your inhaler. However, your doctor can also show you how to use your inhaler and can check that you are using it correctly. Do not take the inhaler apart or wash the mouthpiece, or any part of the device. Close the device after each use. If you are using other inhalers at the same time, wait at least 1 minute between the uses of each medication, and use this drug last. This medication works best if used at evenly spaced times. You may take each dose in the morning and the evening 12 hours apart.
What are the side effects of Salmeterol Xinafoate?
Common side effects:
- Throat irritation
- Rapid heartbeat
- Insomnia or sleeping problems
- Upset stomach
- Dry mouth or throat
- Nausea and vomiting
Several people using this medication don’t have serious side effects. If you have rare but very serious side effects, call for medical help right away. Some serious side effects of this drug may include:
- Fats, slow, or irregular heartbeat
- Chest pain
- Severe dizziness
Warnings and Precautions
- This medication should not be used to relieve sudden asthma attacks. This won’t work quickly enough. Make sure you keep your separate reliever inhaler with you at all times in case you need it.
- If you forget to take a dose of Salmeterol Xinafoate, just take your next dose when it is due. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed dose.
- Do not exceed the dose of this prescription that your doctor has prescribed you to use.
- Once you have started taking this medication, your symptoms are likely to improve. However, you must not stop using or reduce your dose of any anti-inflammatory medicines you are using. It will make your symptoms get worse again.
- Inhalers may cause an unexpected increase in wheezing straight after using them. If this occurs, stop using the inhaler immediately and consult your doctor. The medicine should be stopped and an alternative treatment found.
- Use this product with caution in people with irregular heartbeats, heart disease, hypertension, hyperthyroidism, or diabetes.
- This should not be used in people with known sensitivity or allergy to any ingredient that this product has.
- This is not as well recommended for use in children under 4 years of age.
- Certain medicines should not be used in pregnant or breastfeeding women. However, other medicines may be safely used providing the benefits to the mother outweigh the risks to the unborn baby. Before using any medicine, always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy.