What condition does Rimantadine Hydrochloride treat?
Rimantadine Hydrochloride is used to prevent or treat influenza A. This may help make your symptoms less severe to get better. Taking this medication if you have been or will be exposed to the flu may help it prevent from getting on you. Rimantadine Hydrochloride is a synthetic antiviral drug. This is supplied as tablets for oral use. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved this medication.
This is not a vaccine. It is important to get a flu shot once a year at the beginning of every flu season.
How does Rimantadine Hydrochloride work?
Rimantadine Hydrochloride works by preventing a viral protein called M2. It usually mediates the carrying of acid ions through the influenza virion shell. The acid ions facilitate the dissolution of the virion coat. Thereby it enables the release of the viral RNA into the cytoplasm of the infected cell. By blocking M2, this drug blocks viral and breaks the cycle of viral infection and replication.
This medicine acts during viral replication to inhibit the assembly of the influenza virus. Rimantadine-resistant strains of the influenza-A virus have been isolated. However, these strains do not appear to possess increased virulence relative to the Rimantadine-sensitive virus.
What is the recommended dosage for Rimantadine Hydrochloride?
Take this medication regularly to get the most benefit from it. Take it exactly as it is prescribed. Do not take it more often than the prescription.
For children younger than 10 years old usually, it is taken once a day. For children older than 10 and adults usually, it is taken twice a day. Rimantadine Hydrochloride is to be taken by mouth. Take it with a full glass of water. You may take it with or without food. The dosage is based on your medical condition and response.
Begin taking this medicine as soon as possible after being exposed to developing flu symptoms or the flu. Take this medicine for the full-time prescribed. Stopping this treatment ahead of time may allow the virus to continue to grow, which might lead to severe flu infection.
What are the side effects of Rimantadine Hydrochloride?
- Loss of appetite
- Stomach pain
- Sleep problems
- Dry mouth
- Trouble concentrating
What are the precautions in taking Rimantadine Hydrochloride?
- Before taking this drug, tell your doctor if you are allergic to it. Tell also if you have any allergies, medical history, or current medications.
- Consult your doctor first if you are pregnant or breastfeeding women.
- This drug may make you feel dizzy. Do not use any machinery or do anything that needs your alertness.
- Tell your doctor if you have or have ever had blood disorders, liver disease, or seizures.
- Do not use this past the expiration date.
- While using this medication do not have any nasal flu vaccine and for at least 48 hours after your last dosage. The vaccine may not work as well during this time, and may not fully protect you from disease.
- Keep this away from the reach of children.