Where is Quetiapine Fumarate used?
Quetiapine Fumarate is used to treat certain mental/mood disorders such as:
- Bipolar disorder
This is in the class of medications called antipsychotic drugs which is an atypical type. This medicine has various benefits such as:
- Restoring the balance of certain natural substances in the brain that lessens hallucinations
- Improving your mood, appetite, and energy level
- Helping you feel less nervous and think more clearly and positively about yourself as well as taking a more active part in your everyday life
How does Quetiapine Fumarate work?
Quetiapine Fumarate is an FDA-approved medicine that works by blocking the receptors in the brain that dopamine acts on. This prevents too much activity of dopamine and helps control symptoms of certain psychotic illnesses. This improves symptoms such as:
- Having a lack of emotion or becoming withdrawn
- Disturbing thoughts
- Feeling depressed
This type of disease seems to be triggered by disturbances in the activity of neurotransmitters in the brain. Neurotransmitters are chemicals stored in nerve cells. These are involved in transmitting messages between the nerve cells. This medicine affects various neurotransmitters specifically serotonin (5HT) and dopamine. Dopamine and serotonin are neurotransmitters known to be involved in regulating behavior, mood, and thinking.
How is Quetiapine Fumarate taken?
- Your doctor may direct you to start at a lower dose and eventually increase it.
- This medicine is taken by mouth with a glass of water.
- Drink plenty of fluids while having this medication. Doing so may lessen the risk of certain side effects.
- This medicine is usually taken 2 to 3 times a day or as directed by your doctor.
- Take each dose at the same time and in the same way each day.
- You may take each dose with or without a meal.
- Swallow the tablet as a whole. Do not chew or crush it.
What are the possible side effects of Quetiapine Fumarate?
- Loss of appetite
- Changes in sleep habits
What are the precautions in taking Quetiapine Fumarate?
- You should know that this drug may make you drowsy. Do not drive or use any machinery that needs your alertness.
- Let your doctor know if you have any medical history especially of seizure disorder, thyroid problems, high cholesterol, diabetes, and stomach/intestinal blockage.
- It is important to continue taking this even if you feel well. Do not suddenly stop taking Quetiapine Fumarate without the consent of your doctor. It may worsen your condition.
- If you have any allergies, tell it your doctor right away. Inform also your doctor if you ever had an allergic reaction to this product.
- If you have current medications including vitamins or herbal supplements, tell to your doctor.
- This may make you sweat less which makes you more likely to get heatstroke. Do not do things that might cause you to overheat. Drink a lot of fluids and dress lightly when the weather is hot.
- This is not approved for use in older adults with dementia-related conditions.
- While having this treatment, avoid drinking alcohol. Dangerous side effects could occur.
- This is not recommended for use in pregnancy or breastfeeding women.