Mycophenolic Acid

General Information

Mycophenolic Acid is used to keep your body from attacking your transplanted kidney. This weakens your body’s immune system. It is to keep it from rejecting a transplanted organ. Mycophenolic Acid is used in combination with other medications. The transplanted kidney is a surgical procedure to place a healthy kidney. It is from a living or deceased donor into a person whose kidneys no longer function properly.

How does Mycophenolic Acid work?

Mycophenolic Acid works by decreasing the making of white blood cells. It does this by blocking the action of a compound called inosine monophosphate dehydrogenase. It is needed for their production. By decreasing the production of these cells, Mycophenolic Acid makes the body less likely to reject foreign material such as transplanted organs.

Why use Mycophenolic Acid?

Mycophenolic Acid is a type of medicine called an immunosuppressant. Immunosuppressant drugs reduce the activity of the body’s immune system. This medication helps your body accept the new kidney as if it were your own. Mycophenolic Acid is supplied as a delayed-release tablet for oral use. Each tablet is available in the strengths of 180 mg and 360 mg. This is a medication approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

How to use Mycophenolic Acid?

Mycophenolic Acid is usually taken twice a day. Swallow the medicine as a whole with a full glass of water. This is to be taken on an empty stomach, an hour before or 2 hours of meals. This is to be taken by mouth as directed by your doctor. Don’t forget to take each dose at the same time each day.

The dosage is based on your medical condition and response. Do not take more or less than the prescription. Let your doctor know if your condition does not improve or if it gets worse.

What are the side effects of Mycophenolic Acid?

  • Nausea
  • Constipation
  • Diarrhea
  • Headache
  • Stomach upset
  • Vomiting
  • Trouble sleeping
  • Joint or muscle pain
  • Weight gain
  • Dizziness
  • Back pain
  • Anxiety
  • Swelling in your hands or feet

Warnings and Precautions

  • Before taking this medication, tell your doctor if you are allergic to it. Tell also if you have any allergies.
  • If there are some signs of an allergic reaction that occurs, call your doctor right away and stop taking this drug.
  • Consult first your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant.
  • Breastfeeding women may not take this medication. discuss with your doctor the risks and benefits.
  • Keep this at room temperature far from heat or moisture.