What condition does Hyoscyamine Sulfate treat?
Hyoscyamine Sulfate is a prescription used to treat a variety of stomach or intestinal problems;
- Irritable bowel syndrome
This medicine may also be used to treat other conditions such as cramping pain or bladder and bowel control problems. This condition may be caused by kidney stones, Parkinson’s disease, or gallstones. In addition, this drug is used to lessen the side effects of certain medications and insecticides.
Hyoscyamine Sulfate belongs to the class of medications called anticholinergics or antispasmodics. This medicine comes as an extended-release tablet for oral use. This was already approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
How does Hyoscyamine Sulfate work?
Hyoscyamine Sulfate works by lessening the production of acid in the stomach. It is by slowing down the natural activities of the gut. It also relaxes the muscles in many organs such as the bladder, intestines, stomach, and kidney. This drug lessens the number of certain body fluids like sweat and saliva.
What is the recommended dosage for Hyoscyamine Sulfate?
The dosage for this medicine is based on your condition and response to treatment. Do not increase your dosage or take it more often than given without consulting your doctor.
- Adults and children 12 years and older should not take more than 1.5 milligrams in 24 hours.
- Children aged 2 to 12 years should not take more than 0.75 milligrams in 24 hours.
Take this medicine usually 30 to 60 minutes before meals, or as directed by your doctor. Drink plenty of fluids while taking this medication unless your doctor directs you otherwise.
Antacids lower the absorption of this drug. If you use antacids, take them after meals and take this medicine before meals or take antacids at least 1 hour after taking a dose of this medicine. If you missed a dose, contact your doctor for instructions and information.
What are the side effects of Hyoscyamine Sulfate?
Common side effects:
- Blurred vision
- Feeling nervous
- Sleep problems or insomnia
- Changes in taste
- Decreased sweating
- Dry mouth
- Problems with urination
What are the precautions in taking Hyoscyamine Sulfate?
- Call for medical help right away if there are signs of an allergic reaction.
- Inform your doctor if you have current medication or any medical history.
- Older adults may be more sensitive to the side effects of this drug, especially drowsiness, confusion, constipation, unusual excitement, and difficulty urinating. Drowsiness and confusion can increase the risk of falling.
- This prescription may have an inactive ingredient that causes an allergic reaction. Tell your doctor if you have any allergies.
- You should not share this or any of your prescriptions with others.
- Do not use this past the expiration date.
- Children may be more sensitive to the effects of this drug.
- If you are a pregnant or breastfeeding woman, consult your doctor first.
- Contact lens wearers may need to use wetting eye drops since this medication can cause dry eyes.
- Keep this in a dry and clean place to avoid some contaminations.