What condition does Doxazosin Mesylate treat?
Doxazosin Mesylate is a medication used for the treatment of the signs and symptoms of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH) or also known as prostate enlargement. It is a noncancerous increase in the size of the prostate gland. Symptoms may include frequent urination, inability to urinate, or loss of bladder control.
This may also be used to treat high blood pressure. This medicine is used alone or in combination with hypertension medications. Lowering high blood pressure helps prevent strokes, kidney problems, or heart attacks.
Doxazosin Mesylate is a selective inhibitor of the alpha-1 subtype of alpha-adrenergic receptors. This is available as tablets for oral use. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved this medication.
How does Doxazosin Mesylate work?
Doxazosin Mesylate prevents norepinephrine that is released by nerves. It is from binding to alpha-1 receptors on the smooth muscle surrounding blood vessels and in the prostate and bladder. By blocking the effect of norepinephrine, this drug relaxes the smooth muscle. Relaxation of the smooth muscle surrounding blood vessels causes them to enlarge. Thereby it reduces blood pressure. Relaxation of smooth muscle in the bladder and prostate advances the flow of urine. It also reduces the pain and discomfort characteristic of BPH.
What is the recommended dosage of Doxazosin Mesylate?
The dosage of this medication is based on your condition and response.
This is to be taken by mouth with a full glass of water. It is usually taken once a day. You may take it with or without food. This may cause a sudden drop in your blood pressure, which could lead to dizziness or fainting. It usually takes 2-6 hours after you take the drug.
Take it at the same time each day. You must take it exactly as it is directed by your doctor. If you missed a dose, call your doctor for instructions. Do not take two doses to make up for the missed one.
What are the side effects of Doxazosin Mesylate?
- Tired feeling
- Shortness of breath
- Weight gain
- Runny nose
- Low blood pressure
What are the precautions in taking Doxazosin Mesylate?
- Before having this medicine, inform your doctor know if you ever had an allergic reaction to it or if you have any allergies. Tell also your doctor if you have current medications including prescription or non-prescription medicines.
- Do not share this with others even if they have the same symptoms as yours.
- Within 1 to 2 weeks, you should see a benefit from this medicine. Inform your doctor if your condition does not improve or if it gets worse.
- Older adults may be more sensitive to the side effects of this medication, especially low blood pressure or dizziness when getting up from a lying or sitting position. These side effects can increase the risk of falling.
- During pregnancy, this medicine must be used only when needed. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor.
- This medication passes into breast milk. Consult your doctor before breastfeeding.