Where is Cabergoline used?
Cabergoline is a medication used for the treatment of high levels of prolactin hormone in your body. The said hormone is made by the pituitary gland in the brain. Having high levels of prolactin in women may cause symptoms such as;
- Missed periods
- Unwanted breastfeed
- Difficulty becoming pregnant
This condition also happens in men. It may cause symptoms such as:
- Enlarged breasts
- Decreased sexual ability/desire
This is a type of medicine called a dopamine agonist. This prescription is for oral administration that has 0.5mg of Cabergoline. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved this treatment.
How does Cabergoline work?
Cabergoline works by imitating the action of a substance in the brain called dopamine. This medication decreases the making of prolactin from the pituitary gland by acting on dopamine receptors that are found on the pituitary gland.
The secretion of prolactin by the anterior pituitary is generally under hypothalamic inhibitory control. It is likely used through the release of dopamine by tuberoinfundibular neurons. This medication is a long-acting dopamine receptor agonist with a high affinity for D2 receptors.
How is Cabergoline taken?
This medication comes in tablet form. The dose and dosing schedule depends on your condition and response. This is usually taken twice each week for about 6 months. You may take each dose with or without food. Do not take the medicine every day unless it is prescribed by your doctor.
Take each medicine with a glass of water. If you have any signs of allergic reaction or overdose, call your doctor right away. In addition, if you missed a dose or if you often miss a dose, ask your doctor for instructions.
What are the possible side effects of Cabergoline?
- Stomach pain
- Spinning sensation
- Depressed mood
- Hot flashes
- Dry mouth
Stop taking the medicine and call your doctor right away if these happen:
- Swelling in your ankles or feet
- Feeling like you might pass out
- Dry cough or hack, lower back pain
- Feeling short of breath on exertion
- Chest discomfort
- Feeling weak or tired
- Loss of appetite, rapid weight loss
- Urinating less than usual or not at all
What are the precautions in taking Cabergoline?
- Before using this medication, tell your doctor if you have any allergies. This prescription may contain a substance that causes an allergic reaction.
- Let your doctor know if you have any medical history or current medications including herbal or food supplements as well as vitamins.
- If you are a pregnant or breastfeeding woman, consult first your doctor before taking a dose of this medication.
- This tablet absorbs moisture. You should always replace the cap after taking your tablets. Do not transfer your tablets to another container and do no remove the special desiccant granules for the cap.
- It is important to tell your doctor if you have or ever had liver disease.
- This medication should be taken exactly as it is given. Do not take more or less than the prescribed amount from your doctor. It might make your condition worse.