What isZolmitriptan and where it is used?
Zolmitriptan is a type of medicine called serotonin agonist or 5HT. This is used for the treatment of migraines. Migraine is a repeated type of headache. They cause moderate to severe pain that is pulsing or throbbing. The pain is frequently on one side of your head. This medication helps relieve pain, headache, and other migraine symptoms such as:
- Sensitivity to light or sound
Prompttreatment helps you to return to your normal routine. It may also lessen yourneed for other pain medications.
How doesZolmitriptan work?
Thismedicine works by stimulating receptors called serotonin receptors that arefound in the brain. A natural substance called serotonin normally acts on thesereceptors. It causes blood vessels in the brain to narrow. Zolmitriptan mimicsthis action of serotonin by directly stimulating the serotonin receptors in thebrain. This narrows the blood vessels and so relieves the pain of migraineheadaches.
The doseof Zolmitriptan should be taken as early as possible after the migraineheadache has started. Though, it is also effective if taken at a later stageduring the migraine attack. This drug usually provides significant relief fromthe migraine within an hour of taking them.
How touse it?
Zolmitriptancomes as a tablet for oral use. This is to be taken by mouth usually at thefirst sign of a migraine headache. If your symptoms improve after you takeZolmitriptan but return after 2 hours or longer, you may take a second tablet.If your condition or symptoms does not improve do not take the second tablet withoutcalling your doctor. Your doctor will tell you the maximum number of tablets ororally disintegrating tablets you may take in 24 hours.
Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully and ask your doctor to explain any part you do not understand. Take Zolmitriptan exactly as directed. Do not take more or less of it or take it more often than prescribed by your doctor. If you take Zolmitriptan more often or for longer than the recommended period, your headaches may get worse or may occur more frequently. You should not take this drug or any other headache medication for more than 10 days per month. Call your doctor if you need to take Zolmitriptan to treat more than three headaches in 1 month.
What arethe side effects?
- Dry mouth
- Pressure or heavy feeling in any part of your body
- Unusual or unpleasant taste in your mouth
Stopusing the medicine and call your doctor if you have the following side effects:
- Fast or pounding heartbeat
- Feeling tightness in your jaw
- Sudden and severe stomach pain
- Bloody diarrhea
- Inform your doctor about any other medications you are taking.
- If you ever had an allergic reaction to this drug, let your doctor know.
- Consult your doctor first before taking a dose if you are pregnant or breastfeeding women.
- This drug might make you feel dizzy or drowsy. Avoid using any machinery or driving until you know how the drug affects you.
- This is not recommended for use in people aged 65 years and older.