Topiramate is used to prevent and control seizures or epilepsy. This may also be used you prevent migraine headaches and lessen how often you get them.
Seizures happen because of an unexpected abnormalelectrical activity in the brain. This condition is a symptom of a brainproblem. When people think of seizures, they frequently think of convulsions inwhich a person’s body shakes uncontrollably and rapidly. Most seizures lastfrom 30 seconds to 2 minutes and do not cause lasting harm. If seizures lastlonger than 5 minutes, it is already a medical emergency. With a seizure, signsand symptoms can range from mild to severe. Signs and symptoms may include:
- Astaring spell
- Lossof consciousness or awareness
- Uncontrollablejerking movements of the arms and legs
- Cognitiveor emotional symptoms such as anxiety and fear
Migraine headache is severe throbbing pain or apulsing sensation. It usually occurs on one side of the head. It is frequently accompaniedby vomiting, nausea, and extreme sensitivity to sound and light. It can lastfor hours to days and the pain may be so severe that it interferes with yourdaily activities.
Topiramate belongs to the class of drugs known assulfamate-substituted monosaccharide anticonvulsants or antiepileptic drugs(AEDs). This acts on certain chemicals, channels, receptors, and enzymes inyour brain. It is to help control seizures and prevent migraine headaches. Thisproduct is supplied as an extended-release capsule. Each capsule is availablein the dosage forms of 25 mg, 50 mg, 100 mg, 150 mg, and 200 mg for oral use. TheFood and Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved this prescription.
How doesthe medicine work?
Topiramate works by preventing the fits through calming theelectrical nerve activity in the brain. It works in different ways toachieve this.
This drugaffects the activity of two neurotransmitters in the brain.Neurotransmitters are natural chemicals that are involved in transmittingmessages between the nerve cells. Topiramate enhances the action of GABA whichis a neurotransmitter that acts as a natural nerve-calming agent. Thismedication also lessens the action of glutamate which is aneurotransmitter that normally has a nerve exciting effect.
Topiramate alsoworks by preventing sodium from entering the nerve cell. It happensif there is already a fire fast and repetitive electrical signal. This inhibits the electricalsignal from building up and passing on. All these actions help preventfits.
The brain andnerves are made up of many nerve cells that communicate with each otherthrough electrical signals. For the brain and nerves to function well, thesesignals should be cautiously controlled. When atypically repetitive and rapid electricalsignals are released in the brain, the brain becomes over-stimulated and normalfunction is disturbed. This results in fits or seizures.
How touse the medication?
Topiramate isusually taken twice a day or as directed by your doctor. Your doctor may giveyou a low starting dose and slowly increase it. The prescribed dosage willdepend on your medical condition and response to the treatment. Each dose maybe taken with or without food. Take this medication by mouth with a full glassof water. Do not break or chew the tablet. Swallow it as a whole. Take theright dose, not more or less. Remember to take it at the same time and in thesame way each day. You should not suddenly stop taking this medication withoutthe consent of your doctor. Drink plenty of fluids while having this medicationto prevent kidney stones from forming. Doing so may lessen the risk of certainside effects. For the best benefit from this product, take it regularly.
Commonand Serious Side Effects
- Irregularmovements of the eyes
- Tinglingof the arms and legs
- Lossof appetite
- Changesin taste
- Urinaryfrequency or incontinence
- Urinarytract infection
Get emergency medical help if there are signs of anallergic reaction such as:
- Swellingof your face, lips, tongue, and throat
- This medication may cause drowsiness and problems with concentrating and thinking clearly. If affected, do not drive or use any machinery that requires your alertness. Avoid drinking alcohol while having this drug as this is likely to make these problems worse.
- This product should not be recommended for use in adolescents and young adults.
- Inform your doctor if your condition does not improve or if it gets worse.
- If you have a personal or family history of kidney stones, tell it right away to your doctor. This drug may increase the risk of kidney stones.
- If you missed a dose, take it as soon as you remember it. Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next dose then continue your prescribed schedule of dosing. Do not double the dose to make up for the missed dose.
- You should be weighed regularly during treatment. Topiramate can cause loss of appetite and weight loss. If you are losing too much weight, your doctor may ask you to increase your food intake or prescribed you a dietary supplement.
- There may be a small increased risk of suicidal behavior in people taking antiepileptic medicine. For this reason, it is important to seek medical advice if you start to feel depressed or you have any changes in mood.
- This should not be used to treat epilepsy in children less than two years of age. In children under 16 years old, this as well should not be used.
- Let your doctor know if you have any medical history especially of kidney or liver problems, osteoporosis, ketogenic diet, and a certain metabolic imbalance.
- Topiramate should be used with caution in people with a history of depression or suicidal thoughts, severe lung or breathing disorders, rare hereditary blood disorders called porphyrias, or high levels of calcium in their urine.
- Keep this medication in a safe place from the heat or reach of children.