Tamoxifen Citrate is used for the treatment of breast cancer. This drug attaches to the hormone receptor in the cancer cell, blocking estrogen from attaching to the receptor. This slows or stops the growth of the tumor by preventing the cancer cells from getting the hormones they need to grow.
Breastcancer starts when cells in the breast begin to grow out of control. Thesecells usually form a tumor. Breast cancer occurs almost entirely in women butmen can get breast cancer too. This type of condition can start from differentparts of the breast. Most breast cancers begin in the ducts that carry milk tothe nipple, some starts in the glands that make breast milk. Other types ofbreast cancer are less common like phyllodes tumor and angiosarcoma. A small numberof cancers start in other tissues in the breast. These cancers are calledsarcomas and lymphomas and are thought of as breast cancers.
Signs andsymptoms of breast cancer may include:
- Change in the size, shape or appearance of a breast
- A breast lump or thickening that feels different from the surrounding tissue
- A newly inverted nipple
- Changes to the skin over the breast, such as dimpling
- Redness or pitting of the skin over your breast, like the skin of an orange
- Peeling, scaling, crusting or flaking of the pigmented area of skin surrounding the nipple (areola) or breast skin
Breastcancer can spread when the cancer cells get into the blood or lymph system andare carried to other parts of the body.
TamoxifenCitrate is a nonsteroidal anti-estrogen. This medication blocks the growth ofbreast cancer and interferes with the effects of estrogen in the breast tissue.This as well may help to lessen the chances of breast cancer in high-riskpatients. Tamoxifen Citrate is supplied as tablets for oral administration.Each tablet contains Tamoxifen Citrate as an active ingredient. This isavailable in the strengths of 10 mg and 20 mg. Tamoxifen Citrate is aprescription approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
How doesTamoxifen Citrate Tablets work?
TamoxifenCitrate works by blocking estrogen receptors. In that way, it blocks the effectof estrogen on breast cancer cells. This stops the cancer cells from growing.
Mostbreast cancers are sensitive to estrogen and their growth is increased in thepresence of this hormone. Estrogen binds to estrogen receptors on the breastcancer cells. That it causes changes within the cells that result in fastergrowth of cancer. Breast cancers that are sensitive to estrogen are calledestrogen receptor-positive cancers.
How touse Tamoxifen Citrate Tablets?
TamoxifenCitrateis to be taken by mouth as directed by your doctor. It isusually taken once or twice a day for 5 years. Daily dosages greater than 20milligrams are usually divided in half and taken twice a day. It may be takenin the morning and evening. The recommended dosage is based on your medicalcondition and response to the treatment. The tablet should be swallowed as awhole with a full glass of water. Do not chew, break, or crush it. You must takeeach dose exactly as it is prescribed by your doctor. Do not take more or lessthan it is given. Your doctor may direct you to start at a lower dose andeventually increase it. Let your doctor know if your condition worsens or doesnot improve.
Do not suddenlystop taking Tamoxifen Citratewithout the consent of your doctor.Even if you feel well, continue to take the medication until the fullprescription is done. To help you remember, take the drug at the same time andin the same way each day. Drink plenty of fluids while having this treatment.Doing so may lessen the risk of certain side effects. If you missed a dose,take it as soon as you remember it. If it is almost time for your next dose,skip the missed dose and continue your regular dosing schedule. Do not doublethe dose to make up for the missed dose.
What arethe side effects of Tamoxifen Citrate Tablets?
- Leg cramps
- Hair thinning
- Muscle aches
- Headache bone
- Pain joint
- Swelling in your hands or feet
- Tumor pain
- Hot flashes
- Changes in menstrual periods
- Vaginal itching or dryness
- Dizziness depression
- Swelling or fluid retention
- Weight loss
- Loss of sexual ability/interest
Call yourdoctor right away if these side effects occur:
- Blurred vision, eye pain, tunnel vision, or seeing halos around lights
- Unusual vaginal bleeding or discharge
- Pain or pressure in your pelvic area
- Changes in your menstrual periods
- A new breast lump
- Liver problems
- High levels of calcium in your blood
- Tell your doctor if you have any medical history or current medications (prescriptions or non-prescriptions).
- If you are allergic to it, tell it to your doctor right away before using it. This medication may contain an inactive ingredient that causes an allergic reaction.
- Consult your doctor first if you have a medical history of high blood pressure, liver disease, or blood clots.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. If you are breastfeeding women, consult your doctor first.
- Since the drug can be absorbed through the skin and lungs, women who are pregnant or who may become pregnant should not handle this medication. Maybe they as well ought to not breathe the dust from the tablets.
- You should not take this to reduce your risk of breast cancer if you are also taking a blood thinner such as Warfarin.
- If you are taking Tamoxifen Citrateto reduce your risk of breast cancer, you may need to take your first dose while you are having a menstrual period. You may also need to have a pregnancy test before you start taking tamoxifen, to make sure you are not pregnant.
- Keep this at room temperature away from moisture or heat as well as from the reach of children/pets.