Tambocor (Flecainide Acetate) is used to treat persistent ventricular tachycardia and paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia. Those are certain types of serious irregular heartbeat. This medication is used to restore normal heart rhythm. It also helps to maintain a regular and steady heartbeat. This drug may also prevent certain types of an irregular heartbeat from returning like atrial fibrillation.
How does Tambocor (Flecainide Acetate) work?
Tambocor (Flecainide Acetate) works by blocking certain electrical signals in the heart. That it can cause an irregular heartbeat. Treating an irregular heartbeat can decrease the risk of blood clots. This effect can reduce your risk of heart attack or stroke.
This medication is a sodium channel blocker. It binds to voltage-gated sodium channels. It stabilizes the neuronal membrane by inhibiting the ionic fluxes required for the initiation and conduction of impulses. Ventricular excitability is depressed. The stimulation threshold of the ventricle is increased during diastole.
Why use Tambocor (Flecainide Acetate)?
Tambocor (Flecainide Acetate) is known as an anti-arrhythmic drug. This is available as 50 mg, 100 mg, and 150 mg tablets. This drug is for oral administration. It contains Flecainide Acetate as an active ingredient. It is a white crystalline substance. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved this medication.
How to use Tambocor (Flecainide Acetate)?
Tambocor (Flecainide Acetate) is to be taken by mouth with a full glass of water. You may take it with or without food. It is usually taken twice a day. Remember to take it at the same time each day.
The recommended dosage is based on your medical condition and response. Do not increase or change the dosage without the prescription of your doctor.
What are the side-effects of Tambocor (Flecainide Acetate)?
Common side effects:
- Shortness of breath
- Stomach pain
- Vision problems (blurred vision or problems focusing)
Warnings and Precautions
- Tell your doctor if you have any allergies before taking this drug. This may contain an inactive ingredient that causes an allergic reaction.
- This medication may make you feel dizzy. Avoid using any machinery or do anything that needs your alertness.
- During pregnancy, this should only be used when clearly needed. If you are breastfeeding women, consult your doctor first.
- Inform your doctor if you have any medical history or current medications/treatments.
- Keep this at a dry and clean place away from heat and moisture.