Silenor (Doxepin) is indicated for the treatment of a certain sleep problem which is insomnia. It is characterized by difficulty falling and/or staying asleep. People with this condition have one or more of the following symptoms; difficulty falling asleep, waking up often during the night, or having trouble going back to sleep.
This medication may help you stay asleep longer. This may also reduce the number of times you awaken during the night.
How does Silenor (Doxepin) work?
Silenor (Doxepin) is believed to act on neurotransmitters. It is a chemical messenger within the brain. It allows a specific neurotransmitter called histamine to build up in the spaces between nerve cells. It is by blocking its uptake into the nearby cells.
Why use Silenor (Doxepin)?
Silenor (Doxepin) belongs to the class of medications known as tricyclic antidepressants. This is available in 3mg and 6mg strength tablets for oral administration. Each tablet has Doxepin Hydrochloride as an active ingredient. It is a white crystalline powder with a slight amine-like odor that is readily soluble in water. This has been already approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
How to use Silenor (Doxepin)?
The recommended dosage is based on your medical condition and response.
This is usually taken once every night within 30 minutes before bedtime. It is to be taken in an empty stomach. Do not take it within 3 hours of a meal because the effects of the drug will be delayed.
It is to be taken by mouth and swallow it as a whole. You should not this unless you are able to get a full night of sleep (7-8 hours). Use this regularly to get the most benefit of it. Follow your doctor’s prescription very carefully.
What are the side-effects of Silenor (Doxepin)?
- Dry mouth loss of appetite
- Numbness or tingly feeling
- Lack of coordination
- Weight changes
- Blurred vision
- Increased sweating
- Cold symptoms (sneezing, stuffy nose, or sore throat)
Warnings and Precautions
- Before using this medication, inform your doctor if you have any medical history or current medications/treatments.
- Do not use this if you are allergic to it. Tell also to your doctor if you have any allergies.
- During pregnancy, this medication should only be used when clearly needed.
- Consult your doctor first if you are breastfeeding women.
- Keep this away from the reach of children.