SalmeterolXinafoate is a prescription approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).This is used to control and prevent symptoms caused by asthma or ongoing lungdisease. The disease is called chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).Salmeterol Xinafoate belongs to the class of medication called long-actingbeta-agonists. It opens the airways in the lungs to make breathing easier. If youcontrol the symptoms of breathing problems, it might lessen time lost fromschool or work. This product comes as a powder for inhalation.
COPD is aprogressive lung disease that is characterized by increasing breathlessness.With the right diagnosis and treatment, there are many things you can do tomanage the disease and breathe better. People may live for many years with COPDand enjoy life. A COPD symptom frequently doesn’t seem to appear untilsignificant lung damage has happened. They typically get worse over time, mainlyif smoking exposure remains. The main symptom of this condition is a daily coughand mucus production. Other signs and symptoms of COPD may include:
- Shortness of breath particularly throughout aphysical activities
- Chronic cough that may produce mucus that might bewhite, clear, greenish, or yellow
- Having to clear your throat first thing in themorning due to excess mucus in your lungs
- Chest tightness
- Frequent respiratory infections
- The blueness of the lips or fingernail beds
- Lack of energy
- Unintended weight loss
- Swelling in legs, feet, or ankles
The mainreason for COPD in some countries is tobacco smoking. In the developing world,COPD regularly happens in people exposed to heat in poorly ventilated homes or smokesfrom burning fuel for cooking. People with this type of condition are at riskof developing lung cancer, heart disease, and a variety of otherconditions.
How doesSalmeterol Xinafoate work?
Thismedication acts in the lungs particularly on its receptors known as beta 2receptors. As soon as the drug stimulates these receptors, it causes themuscles in the airways to relax. This permits the airways to open. Inconditions where there is a narrowing of the airways, such as chronicobstructive pulmonary disease, it is difficult for air to get in and out of thelungs. Using opening the airways, Salmeterol Xinafoate makes it easier tobreathe.
SalmeterolXinafoate does not open the airways as quickly as short-acting beta 2 agonists.However, it does keep the airways open for much longer. This drug starts towork in about 10 to 20 minutes and its effects last for about 12 hours. Wherethose of terbutaline or salbutamol start within 5 minutes and last for about4-6 hours. This means Salmeterol Xinafoate is used to prevent shortness ofbreath chest tightness, wheezing, or asthma attacks, rather than to relieve them.
How touse Salmeterol Xinafoate?
SalmeterolXinafoate is to be taken using an inhaler device. Inhaling the medicine permitsit to act straight in the lungs where it is needed most. It also decreases thelikelihood to have side effects in other parts of the body. As the amountabsorbed into the blood through the lungs is lower than if it were taken bymouth. Salmeterol is usually used regularly twice a day. However, you shouldfollow the instructions given by your doctor. It may be when you will use themedication or how many inhalations you should use each day. You should notexceed the prescribed dose.
It isvery important to learn how to use your inhaler correctly as otherwise, youwon’t be breathing the right dose of medicine into your lungs. Instructionswill be provided with your inhaler. However, your doctor can also show you howto use your inhaler and can check that you are using it correctly. Do not takethe inhaler apart or wash the mouthpiece, or any part of the device. Close thedevice after each use. If you are using other inhalers at the same time, waitat least 1 minute between the uses of each medication, and use this drug last.This medication works best if used at evenly spaced times. You may take eachdose in the morning and the evening with 12 hours apart.
What arethe side effects of Salmeterol Xinafoate?
- Throat irritation
- Rapid heartbeat
- Insomnia or sleeping problems
- Upset stomach
- Dry mouth or throat
- Nausea and vomiting
Severalpeople using this medication don’t have serious side effects. If you have rarebut very serious side effects, call for medical help right away. Some seriousside effects of this drug may include:
- Fats, slow, or irregular heartbeat
- Chest pain
- Severe dizziness
- This medication should not be used to relievesudden asthma attacks. This won’t work quickly enough. Make sure you keep yourseparate reliever inhaler with you at all times in case you need it.
- If you forget to take a dose of SalmeterolXinafoate, just take your next dose when it is due. Do not take a double doseto make up for a missed dose.
- Do not exceed the dose of this prescription thatyour doctor has prescribed you to use.
- Once you have started taking this medication, yoursymptoms are likely to improve. However, you must not stop using or reduce yourdose of any anti-inflammatory medicines you are using. It will make yoursymptoms get worse again.
- Inhalers may cause an unexpected increase inwheezing straight after using them. If this occurs, stop using the inhalerimmediately and consult your doctor. The medicine should be stopped and analternative treatment found.
- Use this product with caution in people withirregular heartbeats, heart disease, hypertension, hyperthyroidism, ordiabetes.
- This should not be used in people with knownsensitivity or allergy to any ingredient that this product has.
- This is not as well recommended for use in childrenunder 4 years of age.
- Certain medicines should not be used in pregnant orbreastfeeding women. However, other medicines may be safely used providing thebenefits to the mother outweigh the risks to the unborn baby. Before using anymedicine, always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or planning apregnancy.