Rocaltrol (Calcitriol) Capsule is used to:
- Control low blood calcium levels
- Treat high parathyroid hormone levels
This is a man-made active form of Vitamin D. Most of the people get enough vitamin D from sun exposure and some fortified food products (vitamins/dairy products). Vitamin D helps control parathyroid hormone and the levels of certain minerals (phosphorus/calcium). Those are needed to build and keep the bones strong. This is usually used along with specific diet recommendations and sometimes with other medications.
How do Rocaltrol (Calcitriol) Capsules work?
Rocaltrol (Calcitriol) Capsule acts as a hormone in the body. It controls the absorption of calcium and phosphate from the gut. It also controls the levels of phosphate and calcium in the blood as well as the normal healthy turnover of bone.
Why use Rocaltrol (Calcitriol) Capsules?
Rocaltrol Capsule contains Calcitriol as an active ingredient. It is also the active form of vitamin D that is present in your body. This medication belongs to the class of medications called vitamin D3 metabolites. Calcitriol is a white, crystalline compound that occurs naturally in humans. This is available as capsules containing 0.25mcg or 0.5mcg of Calcitriol. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved this treatment.
How to use Rocaltrol (Calcitriol) Capsules?
The prescribed dosage will depend on your condition and response. This medication may be taken with or without food. This is usually taken once a day. Your doctor may give you a low starting dose and adjust the dose slowly to find the best dose for you.
What are the side-effects of Rocaltrol (Calcitriol) Capsules?
- Abdominal or stomach pain
- Loss of appetite
- Loss height
- Bone pain
- Muscle pain or weakness
- Changes in behavior
- Lower back pain
- Increased thirst
- Weight loss
- Dry mouth or a metallic taste
- Eye pain or redness
- Eye sensitivity to light
- Urinating more than usual or changes in the amount of urine
- Heart rate changes (slow, fast, or uneven)
Warnings and Precautions
- You should not share this with others who have the same symptoms as yours.
- Before using this, consult your doctor first if you are pregnant or breastfeeding women.
- Let your doctor know if you have any medical history or current treatments.
- Follow the diet plan that your doctor told you about.
- Talk with your doctor to see if you need to drink extra fluids while you are taking this medication.
- Keep this away from the reach of children.