Procainamide Hydrochlorideis a prescription used to treat supraventricularand ventricular arrhythmias.
Supraventricular arrhythmia isdefined as an abnormally fast heartbeat. Arrhythmias may cause the heart tobeat too rapidly, too slowly, or irregularly. It is a broad term that consistsof many forms of heart rhythm problems. A normal heart rate is 60 to 100 beatsper minute. A heart rate of more than 100 beats per minute is calledtachycardia. Most people with rare episodes of supraventricular arrhythmiaslive healthy lives without restrictions or interventions. Signs and symptomsmay include:
- Rapid heartbeat
- A fluttering in your chest
- Shortness of breath
- A pounding sensation in the neck
- Fainting or near fainting
Ventricular arrhythmias are abnormalheartbeats that originate in your lower heart chamber called ventricles. It causedby abnormal electrical signals sent across heart tissues. These types ofarrhythmias cause your heart to beat too fast which prevents oxygen-rich bloodfrom circulating to the brain and body. That may also result in cardiac arrest.A healthy heart normally beats about 60-100 times a minute when at rest. It isalso defined by signals that originate in the upper chambers of the heart. Somesigns and symptoms of this condition may include:
- Shortness of breath
- Feeling as if your heart is racing
- Chest pain
Procainamide Hydrochlorideis a type of medicine called anantiarrhythmic. This helps to control irregular heartbeats. The medicationlessens the speed of electrical conduction through the heart muscle. It alsoprolongs the electrical phase during which the heart’s muscle cells can beelectrically stimulated. Lastly, it prolongs the recovery period during whichthe heart muscle cells cannot be stimulated. The Food and Drug Administration(FDA) has already approved this prescription in the year 1950. This product issupplied as a tablet for oral use. Each tablet contains Procainamide as anactive ingredient. This is available in the dosage forms of 250 mg, 375 mg, and500 mg.
Howdoes Procainamide Hydrochloride work?
ProcainamideHydrochlorideworks by lessening thesensitivity of heart muscle cells to the electrical impulses. Wherein, it slowsdown the electrical transmission in the heart muscle. The heart’s pumpingaction is controlled by electrical signals that pass through the heart muscle.That causes the contraction of the two pairs of heart chambers. This action helps to restore disturbances in heartrhythm. In which it can otherwise seriously undermine the pumping action of theheart and result in inefficient blood circulation around the body.
Howto use Procainamide Hydrochloride?
The prescribed dosage is based onyour medical condition, age, and response to it. Procainamide Hydrochlorideis to be taken by mouth with a fullglass of water. Swallow the tablet as a whole. Do not break, chew, or crush it.Drink plenty of fluids while having this treatment. Doing so may lessen therisk of certain side effects. You must take this medication exactly as it isgiven by your doctor. You should not take less or more often than theprescription. Your doctor may direct you to start at a lower dose andeventually increase it.
If you missed a dose, take it assoon as you remember it. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip themissed dose and continue your regular dosing schedule. Do not double the doseto make up for the missed dose. Let your doctor know if your condition getsworse or does not improve. It is important to continue taking this even if youfeel well. Do not suddenly stop taking Procainamide Hydrochloridewithout the consent of your doctor. Tohelp you remember, take it at the same time and in the same way each day. Takeit regularly for the best result from this product.
Whatare the side effects of Procainamide Hydrochloride?
Common side effects:
- Mild dizziness or tired feeling
- Mild itching or rash
- Flushing (redness, warmth, or tingly feeling)
Tell your doctor if you havethese serious side effects such as:
- Chest pain
- Wheezing or trouble breathing
- A new or a worsening irregular heartbeat pattern
- Feeling like you might pass out
- Severe dizziness
- Depressed mood
- Upper stomach pain
- Dark urine or clay-colored stools
- Yellowing of the skin or eyes (jaundice)
- Nausea and vomiting
- Sores in your mouth and throat
- Loss of appetite
- Unusual weakness
- Signs of infection such as chills, fever, or sorethroat
- Flu symptoms
- Pale skin, easy bruising or bleeding
- Joint pain or swelling with fever
Get emergency medical help ifthere are signs of an allergic reaction such as:
- Difficulty breathing
- Swelling of your face, lips, tongue, and throat
- Most drugs that control abnormal heart rhythms canalso provoke them in some circumstances. For this reason, if you feel like yourheart condition has got you worse or you experience chest pain, tell it to yourdoctor immediately.
- Use this medication with caution in elderlypeople, those with kidney or liver disease, hypokalemia, and hypotension.
- People with abnormal heart rhythm seen on a heartmonitoring trace as a prolonged QT interval, this drug should also be carefullyused.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding women,consult your doctor first before taking a dose of this product.
- Before having this treatment, let your doctor knowif you have ever had an allergic reaction to this drug. Tell as well if youhave any allergies. This product may have an inactive ingredient that causes anallergic reaction.
- Inform your doctor what prescription ornon-prescription you are taking including vitamins or herbal supplements.
- If you are having surgery including dentalsurgery, tell the doctor that you are taking Procainamide Hydrochloride.
- This product may increase the irritability of yourheart. Talk to your doctor about the use of caffeine-containing beverages orcigarettes.
This should not be used in peoplewith:
- A heart failure
- A type of irregular heartbeat called Torsades dePointes
- Digoxin toxicity
- Myasthenia gravis
- An autoimmune condition called systemic lupuserythematosus
- A defect of the heart’s electrical message pathwaysthat result in decreased function of the heart