is a medication used for the treatment of advanced cancer of the colon and rectum. This is a type of cancer that begins in the large intestine. The colon is the final part of the digestive tract. It typically affects older adults although it can happen at any age. The colon cancer usually begins as small and noncancerous clumps of the cells called polyps. Some of these polyps may become colon cancers. These may be minor and creates a little. Colon cancer, at times, is called colorectal cancer which is a term that combines colon cancer and rectal cancer. That it begins in the rectum. Signs and symptoms of this condition include:
- Rectal bleeding or blood in your stool
- A persistent change in your bowel habits (diarrheaor constipation or a change in the consistency of your stool)
- A feeling that your bowel does not emptycompletely
- Persistent abdominal discomforts such as gas,pain, or cramps
- Weakness or fatigue
- Unexplained weight loss
Oxaliplatin is an anti-cancer (cytotoxic or antineoplastic) chemotherapy drug. This drug is classified as an alkylating agent. Oxaliplatin inhibits the synthesis of DNA, RNA, and protein in cells. All of these are vital for cells to divide and grow. By preventing them from dividing, this drug can stop cancer from growing.
This product is supplied in vialscontaining 50 mg and 100 mg of Oxaliplatin. It is slightly soluble in water at6mg/mL and very slightly soluble in methanol. It is also practically soluble inethanol and acetone. This comes as a sterile, preservative-free and aqueoussolution at a concentration of 5mg/mL. Water for Injection, USP is present asan inactive ingredient. This is available in the dosage forms of 50 mg/vial,100 mg/vial, and 200 mg/vial. The Food and Administration (FDA) has alreadyapproved this prescription.
How does Oxaliplatin work?
Cancers form when cells within the body multiply abnormally and uncontrollably. These cells spread and destroy nearby tissues. Oxaliplatin works by stopping the cancer cells from multiplying. It does this by binding together the strands of the cells’ genetic material which is the DNA. DNA is needed for the growth and multiplication of cells. This drug damages the DNA inside the cancer cells and so prevents them from multiplying.
Unfortunately, Oxaliplatin canalso affect normal and healthy cells particularly those that multiply quicklysuch as blood cells. The most important side effect is on the bone marrow whereblood cells are made. This drug can lessen the production of blood cellsleaving people susceptible to infection. Regular blood tests are thereforeneeded to monitor the levels of blood cells.
How to use Oxaliplatin?
The dosage is will depend on your medical condition, age, body size, and response to the treatment. To lessen the risk of side effects, your doctor may direct you to start at a low dose and gradually increase it. You must take it exactly as it is prescribed. Do not take more or less than it is given by your doctor.
Before using this product, checkit visually for particles or discoloration. If either is present, do not usethe liquid. Clean the injection with rubbing alcohol before injecting eachdose. Learn how to store and discard medical supplies safely. This medicationis usually given by infusion into a vein over at least 2 hours. It is usuallygiven every 2 weeks along with other prescriptions. Do not suddenly stop takingthis medication without the consent of your doctor. Remember to take it at thesame time and in the same way each day.
In most treatments, doses are administered in courses at various intervals. It is to allow normal cells to recover from the adverse effects of the anticancer medicines between doses. However, during this period, cancer cells will also recover and start to replicate again. Successful treatment depends on the administration of the next course of therapy. It is before cancer has regrown to its previous size. The net effect is to lessen the amount of cancer with each successive course.
What are the side effects of Oxaliplatin?
Common side effects:
- Mouth sores
- Changes in taste
- Stomach pain
- Nausea or vomiting
- Trouble sleeping
- Loss of appetite
- Muscle pain
- Weight gain
- Vision changes
- Temporary hair loss
Tell your doctor if you haveserious side effects of Oxaliplatin:
- Easy or unusual bruising or bleeding
- Injection site reactions such as redness, pain, orswelling
- Muscle cramps
- Signs of too much body water loss (increasedthirst, dry mouth, and decreased urination)
- Redness, pain, and swelling of the arms or legs
- Groin or calf pain
Get emergency help if there areany signs of an allergic reaction such as:
- Hives or itching
- Difficulty or trouble breathing
- Swelling of your lips, face, throat, or tongue
Warnings and Precautions
- Before starting this treatment, make sure to tellyour doctor about any other medications you are taking (herbal remedies orvitamins). Do not take aspirin products containing aspirin unless it is givenby your doctor.
- Do not receive any kind of immunization orvaccination without the consent of your doctor.
- Let your doctor know if you are pregnant or may bepregnant before starting this treatment.
- While taking Oxaliplatin, do not conceive a child.Discuss with your doctor when you may safely become pregnant or conceive achild after the treatment.
- You should not breastfeed while taking thismedication.
Things to remember:
- Avoid cold temperatures and cold objects
- Cover your skin, mouth, and nose if you must gooutside in cold temperature
- Do not drink cold drinks or put ice packs in yourbody
- Cover yourself with a blanket while you receive Oxaliplatininfusion]
- Wear warm clothing in cold weather at all times
- Drink 2 to 3 quarts of fluid every 24 hours andmaintain good nutrition
- Avoid sun exposure. Wear protective clothing.
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages while having thistreatment
- Get plenty of rest.
- Keep this drug at room temperature far from heatand moisture as well as from the reach of children.