Omeprazole is indicated for use to treat certain stomachand esophagus problems such as:
This is a common condition that features a burningpain. It is also known as heartburn in the lower chest area. It happens whenstomach acid flows back up into the food pipe. Gastroesophageal reflux disease(GERD) is diagnosed when acid reflux occurs more than twice a week. Acid refluxis when some of the acid content of the stomach flows up into the esophagus andthe gullet. In which it moves food down from the mouth. Despite the name,heartburn has nothing to do with the heart. The stomach contains hydrochloricacid, a strong acid that helps break down food. It also protects againstpathogens such as bacteria.
This condition causes painful sores in the stomachlining. It occurs when a thick layer of mucus that protects your stomach fromdigestive juices is reduced. This allows the digestive acids to eat away at thetissues that line the stomach, causing an ulcer. This condition may be easilycured, but they can become severe without proper treatment.
This medication may be also be used for thetreatment of:
- Zollinger-Ellisonsyndrome – it is where the stomach produces too much acid
- Dyspepsia– a condition that causes sour stomach, heartburn, belching, and indigestion
Omeprazole helps heal acid damage to the stomach andesophagus. It helps prevent ulcers and may help prevent cancer of the esophagus.This drug relieves symptoms such as:
Omeprazole is a proton pump inhibitors. This lessensthe amount of acid produced in the stomach. This product is supplied as adelayed-release capsule. Omeprazole is available in the dosage forms of 10 mg,20 mg, and 40 mg. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already approvedthis prescription.
Howdoes Omeprazole work?
Omeprazole works by stopping the proton pumps fromworking. This reduces the production of stomach acid. Proton pumps are found oncells that line the stomach. These are used by cells to produce stomach acid.
By lessening stomach acid, this drug can helprelieve indigestion symptoms as well as painful heartburn symptoms. In which itis caused by excess acid flowing back into the food pipe. It allows the food pipeto heal if it has been damaged by the acid. By reducing the amount of acid inthe stomach and upper intestine, Omeprazole allows peptic ulcers to heal andhelps stop them from coming back.
Omeprazole helps protect your gut if you are takingan anti-inflammatory painkiller like diclofenac. These painkillers stop yourstomach from producing prostaglandins that normally protect your stomach liningfrom stomach acid. This medication helps to minimize the amount of stomach acidthat can irritate your stomach while you’re taking these painkillers.
This medication begins to work depending on how andwhy you are taking it. You should get some relief from indigestion symptoms andheartburn right away or at least in the first few days after taking a dose of Omeprazole.However, you may need to keep taking Omeprazole for a few weeks some conditionsmay require you to take this drug on a long-term, basis. Either it is to keepsymptoms under control or to avoid the condition from coming back.
Howto use Omeprazole?
This medication is to be taken regularly for the bestbenefit. The dosage is based on your condition, age, weight, and response tothe treatment. You should take this prescription exactly as it is prescribed byyour doctor. Do not take more or less than it is given by your doctor.
Omeprazole is taken by mouth usually once a day oras directed by your doctor. Swallow the medicine as a whole with a full glassof water without crushing or breaking the capsule. Doing so can release theentire drug at once which increases the risk of side effects. Always remember totake this medication at the same time and in the same way each day.
Whatare the side effects of Omeprazole?
Common side effects:
- Stomach pain
- Fever constipation
- Cold symptoms (sore throat, sneezing, or stuffy nose)
Stop using this medicine and call your doctor if youhave these side effects:
- Newor unusual pain in your wrist, hip, thigh, or back
- Severestomach pain
- Diarrheathat is watery or bloody
- Kidneyproblems (blood in your urine, little or no urination, rapid weight gain, andswelling)
- Newor worsening symptoms of lupus (skin rash on your cheeks or arms that worsensin sunlight and joint pain)
- Lowmagnesium (muscle cramps or spasms, dizziness, cough, or irregular heartbeats)
Get emergency medical help if you have signs of anallergic reaction:
- Difficultyor trouble breathing
- Hivesor itching
- Swellingof your lips, face, throat, or tongue
- Donot take this medication if you are allergic to it. This drug may contain someingredients that may cause an allergic reaction.
- Thisdrug may increase your risk of severe diarrhea. Call your doctor at once if youhave stomach pain, watery diarrhea, and a fever that won’t go away.
- Takingthis drug for three months or longer can cause low magnesium levels in yourbody. Your risk is higher if you take Omeprazole for a year or longer.
- Long-termuse of this medicine can cause fundic gland polyps. These are growths on thelining of your stomach that can become cancerous. To help prevent these polyps,you should use this drug for a short time as possible.
- Thismay change the way your liver works. If you have severe liver problems, yourdoctor may lessen your dose.
- Talkwith your doctor if you’re pregnant or planning to become pregnant. This drugshould only be used if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk tothe fetus.
- Ifyou are breastfeeding women, consult your doctor first before taking a dose ofthis drug.
- Ifyou have your special dietary instructions, continue your diet unless yourdoctor tells you otherwise.
- Unneededmedications should be disposed of in special ways to ensure that children,pets, and other people can’t consume them.