Olsalazine Sodium is for thetreatment of a certain type of bowel disease called ulcerative colitis (UC). Thisdrug does not cure UC, but it may lessen symptoms such as:
Ulcerative colitis is an inflammatory bowel disease. It causes inflammation and ulcers in the lining of your large intestine. UC is different from other diseases with similar symptoms like Crohn’s disease and irritable bowel syndrome. It happens when your immune system makes a mistake. Normally, it attacks invaders in your body. But when you have UC, your immune system thinks food, good gut bacteria, and the cells that line your colon are the intruders. White blood cells that usually protect you attack the lining of your colon instead. They cause inflammation and ulcers.
These may be caused by swellingor irritation of the colon or rectum. After an attack is treated, Olsalazine Sodiumis used to increase the amount of time between attacks. This medication is usedfor long-term regular control of ulcerative colitis to prevent flare-ups.
Olsalazine Sodium is a type ofmedicine called an aminosalicylate. This is used to lessen the inflammation inthe intestines. This product is supplied as a capsule for oral use. Eachcapsule contains Olsalazine Sodium as an active ingredient. It is a yellowcrystalline powder that is practically soluble in water and practicallyinsoluble in methanol. Olsalazine Sodium is available in the dosage form of 250mg. This is a prescription approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration(FDA).
How does Olsalazine Sodium work?
Ulcerative colitis is a condition in which there is inflammation of the large intestine. The inflammation results in ulceration and bleeding in the intestine. That it causes symptoms that include abdominal pain and diarrhea that are mixed with pus, mucus, and blood.
Olsalazine Sodium is made up oftwo molecules of 5-aminosalicylicacid (5-ASA) covalently bound through an azo-bond. It is a medicine calledmesalazine which is activated exclusively in the colon. When this drug reachesthe large intestine, the bacteria found there cause it to split into themolecules of mesalazine. The mesalazine lessens the inflammation in theintestine. Wherein, it decreases the symptoms of the disease.
This medication is taken toreduce inflammation that is causing a flare-up of ulcerative colitis symptoms. Itcan be taken regularly to help keep the inflammation in the intestine undercontrol. Thus, it prevents further flare-ups.
How to use Olsalazine Sodium?
The prescribed dosage for this medication is based on your medical condition, age, weight, and response to it. For the best benefit from this product, take it regularly. You must take this medication exactly as it is prescribed. It may cause another complication or may worsen your current condition.
Olsalazine Sodium is to be takenby mouth. Usually, it is taken twice a day about 12 hours apart or as directedby your doctor. Take each dose with food/snack or after meals. It is to preventstomach upset. Swallow the tablet as a whole with a full glass of water. Do notcrush, break, or chew it.
Don’t forget to take the drug atthe same time each day and in the same way each day. This drug may help controlyour symptoms, but it will not cure your condition. Even if you feel well,continue to take this prescription. Do not suddenly stop taking this withoutconsulting your doctor. If your condition does not improve or gets worse, callyour doctor right away.
What are the side effects of Olsalazine Sodium?
Common side effects:
- Mild stomach discomfort
- Skin rash or itching
- Muscle or joint pain
- Urinating more often than usual
Stop using Olsalazine Sodium, andcall your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- Shortness of breath, chest pain, fast or poundingheartbeats
- Worsening colitis (stomach pain, fever, cramping,or bloody diarrhea)
- Stomach pain, nausea, loss of appetite, darkurine, jaundice, clay-colored stools, or itching
Get emergency medical help if youhave theses sign of an allergic reaction:
- Trouble or difficulty breathing/wheezing
- Hives, itching or rash on the skin
- Swelling of your lips, face, tongue, throat, orother parts of the body
Warnings and Precautions
- While taking this medication, your doctor willwant you to have regular blood tests. It is to monitor your kidney function andthe levels of your blood cells.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant, planningto become pregnant, or breastfeeding women before using this drug.
- It is important to tell your doctor what medicinesyou are already taking including those bought without a prescription and herbalmedicines. Similarly, check with your doctor before taking any new drugs whileusing Olsalazine Sodium. It is to make sure that the combination is safe.
- If you missed a dose, take it as soon as youremember it. If it’s almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose andcontinue your regular dosing schedule. Do not take twice the prescribed dosageto make up for the missed dose.
- This medicine may cause stomach bleeding. Dailyuse of alcohol may increase your risk of stomach bleeding, especially whencombined with this medicine.
- Olsalazine Sodium is very similar to Mesalamine.Do not use Mesalamine medications taken by mouth while using this drug.
- You should not use this past the expiration date.
- Do not share this drug or any of yourprescriptions with others even if they have the same symptoms as yours.
- Keep this medication at room temperature far from heat,moisture, and reach of children.
Do not take Olsalazine Sodium if:
- You are allergic to it or any of the otheringredients of this drug.
- You have ever had an allergic reaction to anysalicylates (aspirin and aspirin-containing products).
- You have severe kidney disease or decreased liverfunction
- You are a child under 12 years old
- You are taking any medicine for preventing bloodclotting
- You have any bleeding disorder