Methylphenidate Hydrochloride isused for the treatment of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). ADHDis a chronic condition that affects millions of children. It often continuesinto adulthood. This condition includes a combination of persistent problemssuch as hyperactivity, difficulty sustaining attention, and impulsive behavior.Children with this disorder may also struggle with low self-esteem and poorperformance in school. Symptoms sometimes lessen with age. ADHD symptoms startbefore the age of 12 and for some, they are noticeable as early as 3 years ofage. The symptoms can be mild, moderate, or severe. This occurs more often inmales than in females and behaviors can be different in boys and girls. Hereare some common signs of ADHD:
- Self-focused behavior
- Trouble waiting their turn
- Emotional turmoil
- Problems playing quietly
- Unfinished tasks
- Lack of focus
- Trouble getting organized
This medication may also be used sometimes for the treatment of narcolepsy. It is a sleep disorder that is characterized by overwhelming daytime drowsiness and sudden attacks of sleep. People with this disorder often find it difficult to stay awake for long periods of time regardless of the circumstances. Sometimes, this condition can be accompanied by a sudden loss of muscle tone which can be triggered by strong emotion. The signs and symptoms of narcolepsy may worsen for the first few years and then continue for life.
Methylphenidate Hydrochloridebelongs to the class of medications known as stimulants. This changes theamount of certain natural substances in the brain. it can help increase yourability to pay attention, control behavior problems, and stay focused on anactivity. It may also help you to organize your tasks and improve listeningskills. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved thisprescription. This product is supplied as an extended-release tablet for oraluse. Each tablet is available in the dosage strengths of 10 mg, 18 mg, 20 mg, 27mg, 36 mg, 54 mg, and 72 mg.
Howdoes Methylphenidate Hydrochloride work?
A stimulant like Methylphenidate Hydrochlorideincreases the activity inthe brain. Usually, it makes people more alert and active. This is how theywork for people with narcolepsy.
In ADHD, this medication seems to work by increasing activity inunderactive areas of the brain that play a part in controlling attention andbehavior. It increases the activity of neurotransmitters called dopamine andnoradrenaline. In which it improves the functioning of the underactive parts ofthe brain that enable self-control.
Stimulant medications becomeeffective fairly quickly often in less than an hour.
Howto use Methylphenidate Hydrochloride?
The recommended dosage is basedon your medical condition, age, and response to the treatment. Your doctor maydirect you to start at a lower dose and eventually increase it. You should takethe right dose, not more or less. Do not suddenly stop taking this medicationwithout the consent of your doctor. It may cause another complication or mayworsen your current condition. For the best benefit from this product, take itregularly.
Methylphenidate Hydrochloride isusually taken 2 to 3 times a day or as directed by your doctor. This medicationis best taken 30 to 45 minutes before a meal. You must take each tablet bymouth. Swallow the tablet as a whole with a full glass of water. Do not break,chew, or crush it. Drink plenty of fluids while having this medication. Doingso may lessen the risk of certain side effects. Remember to take it at the sametime and in the same way each day. If you missed a dose, take it as soon as youremember it. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose andcontinue your regular dosing schedule. Do not double the dose to make up forthe missed dose. Let your doctor know if your condition does not improve or ifit gets worse.
Whatare the side effects of Methylphenidate Hydrochloride?
Common side effects:
- Weight loss
- Rapid heart rate
- Mood swings
- Decreased appetite
- Abdominal pain
- Dry mouth
- Insomnia or trouble sleeping
- Blurred vision
- Increased sweating
- Increased blood pressure
- Spinning sensation
Tell your doctor right away ifyou have these unlikely but serious side effects such as:
- Stroke (slurred speech and weakness on one side ofthe body)
- Heart problems (increased blood pressure and heartrate, shortness of breath, or pain in your left arm, jaw, or chest)
- Changes in eyesight or blurred vision
- Slowed growth
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant. Methylphenidate Hydrochloride should be used during pregnancy if only needed. If you become pregnant while taking this medication, call your doctor right away.
- For women who are breastfeeding, you need to talk to your doctor first for some instructions.
- This may raise your blood pressure. Check your blood pressure regularly and tell your doctor if the results are high.
- Before taking Methylphenidate Hydrochloride, let your doctor know if you have ever had an allergic reaction to it. Tell as well if you have any allergies.
- If you have any medical history especially of blood circulation problems, heart problems, glaucoma, high blood pressure, or seizure disorder, tell it to your doctor right away.
- This drug may make you dizzy. Alcohol can make you dizzier. Do not drive or do any activity that requires your alertness. Limit alcoholic beverages.
- If you have any current medications including vitamins and herbal supplements, inform your doctor before taking this product.
- If used for a long time this drug may affect a child’s growth rate, weight, and final adult height. To lessen the risk, the doctor may recommend briefly stopping the medication from time to time. The height and weight of the child are to be checked regularly.
- This should not be used in children under 6 years of age, people with an overactive thyroid gland, a history of depression, and cardiovascular disease.
- Do not share this with others even if they have the same disease as yours.