Methylphenidate Hydrochloride is used for the treatment of:
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
This is the most commonly diagnosed mental disorder of children. Those with ADHD may be hyperactive and unable to control their impulses. They may also have trouble paying attention.
- A sleep disorder called Narcolepsy
This is a neurological disorder that affects the control of sleep and wakefulness. People with this condition experience excessive daytime sleepiness and uncontrollable episodes of falling asleep during the daytime.
This medication can help increase your ability to pay attention, control behavior problems, and stay focused on an activity. This will also help you organize your tasks and improve listening skills.
How does Methylphenidate Hydrochloride work?
Methylphenidate Hydrochloride inhibits the reuptake of dopamine and norepinephrine. It also inhibits increased dopaminergic and noradrenergic activity in the prefrontal cortex may explain its efficacy in ADHD. These chemicals send signals to other parts of your body. In which it will help to improve your symptoms.
Why use Methylphenidate Hydrochloride?
Methylphenidate Hydrochloride belongs to the class of medications called stimulants. Specifically, this is a mild central nervous system (CNS) stimulant. This is available as tablets of 5 mg, 10 mg, and 20 mg for oral use. This product has the brand name of Ritalin with an active ingredient of Methylphenidate Hydrochloride. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved this prescription.
How to use Methylphenidate Hydrochloride?
This medication is to be taken by mouth with a full glass of water. It is usually taken 2 to 3 times daily. This is best taken 30-45 minutes before a meal. Remember to take it at the same time every day.
The dosage is based on your condition and response to the treatment. Your doctor may direct you to slowly increase or decrease your dose. Do not suddenly stop taking this medication without consulting your doctor.
What are the side effects of Methylphenidate Hydrochloride?
- Sleep problems
- Loss of appetite
- Stomach pain
- Vision problems
- Skin rash
- Cold feeling in your hands or feet
Warnings and Precautions
- Before taking this medication, tell your doctor if you have a medical history or current medications/treatments.
- Do not double the prescribed dosage.
- Inform your doctor if you have any allergies. This drug may contain an inactive ingredient that causes an allergic reaction.
- Avoid driving or using any machinery that requires alertness. This drug may make you dizzy.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding women, consult your doctor first.