Mesalamine is indicated for the treatment of ulcerative colitis. This helps to reduce symptoms of ulcerative colitis such as stomach pain, diarrhea, or rectal bleeding. Ulcerative colitis is an inflammatory bowel disease that causes long-lasting inflammation and ulcers in your digestive tract.
Some brands of Mesalamine may beused only in adults and some only for children who are at least 5 years old.
How does Mesalamine work?
Mesalamine works by blocking the activity of cyclooxygenase and lipoxygenase. Thereby, it lessens the production of prostaglandins. Reduced production of prostaglandins lessens inflammation in the colon. It also decreases the symptoms associated with ulcerative colitis.
Ulcerative colitis and other inflammatory disease cause excessive production of chemicals like prostaglandins. Prostaglandin produces inflammation in the colon. These enzymes are overactive in individuals with ulcerative colitis.
Why use Mesalamine?
Mesalamine is approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 1987. This is a derivative of 5-aminosalicylic acid and an anti-inflammatory agent. This medication affects a substance in the body that causes tissue damage, diarrhea, and inflammation. Mesalamine is supplied as tablets for oral use. Each tablet contains Mesalamine as an active ingredient.
How to use Mesalamine?
This medication is taken by mouthusually 4 times a day. The tablet is to be swallowed as a whole with a fullglass of water. You may take each dose with or without food or as directed byyour doctor. Remember to take it at the same time every day.
The dosage is based on yourmedical condition and response to it. It is very important that you take thisprescription exactly as it is given. For the best result, use this regularly. Letyour doctor know if your condition does not improve or if it gets worse.
What are the side effects of Mesalamine?
- Stomach cramps
- Sore throat
- Flu-like symptoms
- Skin rash
- Tired feeling
Warnings and Precautions
- Before using this, tell your doctor about themedical history that you have. Tell also if you have current medications(herbal supplements or vitamins).
- This medicine may have an inactive ingredient thatcauses an allergic reaction. Let your doctor know if you have any allergies.
- This should only be used when clearly neededduring pregnancy.
- If you are breastfeeding women, consult yourdoctor fits.
- Do not use this to treat any other conditionwithout the prescription of a doctor.
- Do not take this medicine more or less than therecommendation.