Lorcaserin (Belviq) Tablet is used along with diet and exercise to treat obesity. This is sometimes used to treat obesity that may be related to high cholesterol or high blood pressure and diabetes. Losing weight and keeping it off can decrease the many health risks. This is used by certain overweight people. This is for those who are obese or have weight-related medical problems.
How does Lorcaserin (Belviq) Tablet work?
Lorcaserin (Belviq) Tablet is believed to lessen food consumption and promote satiety. It is by selectively activating 5-HT2C receptors on anorexigenic pro-opiomelanocortin neurons located in the hypothalamus. This medication will help you feel full with smaller meals.
Why use Lorcaserin (Belviq) Tablet?
Lorcaserin (Belviq) Tablet belongs to the class of medications known as serotonin-receptor agonists. It targets the chemicals in the brain that affects the appetite. This is a white to off-white powder with solubility in water greater than 400mg/ml. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved this treatment in the year 2012.
How to use Lorcaserin (Belviq) Tablet?
Take this medication as prescribed by your doctor. The regular tablet is usually taken 2 times a day. The extended-release tablet is taken only once a day. Take it as a whole. Do not break or chew it. You may take Lorcaserin with or without food. Do not take this in a larger or smaller amount or for longer than recommended.
What are the side-effects of Lorcaserin (Belviq) Tablet?
Common side effects of this medication:
- Excessive fatigue
- Dry mouth
- Muscle pain
- Pain in your back
- Dry eyes
- Difficult or painful urination
- Blurred vision
Serious side effects:
- Vomiting, nausea, or diarrhea
- Fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat
- Difficulty breathing
If these continue or get worse, call your doctor right away.
Warnings and Precautions
- You should not take this if you are allergic.
- Lorcaserin Tablet should not be used by anyone younger than 18 years old.
- This is not prescribed for pregnant and breastfeeding women.
- Do not share with others who have the same condition as yours.
- Keep this away from moisture and heat.
- Keep this far from the reach of children or from your pets.
- Let your doctor know if you have:
- Liver or kidney disease
- Sickle cell anemia
- Congestive heart failure
- Heart valve disorder
- A physical deformity of the penis