Where is Lisdexamfetamine Dimesylate used?
Lisdexamfetamine Dimesylate is a prescription used for the treatment of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). This is used as part of a total treatment plan including social, psychological, and other treatments. This medication may help increase the ability to stay focused, pay attention, and stop fidgeting.
Lisdexamfetamine Dimesylate is a type of medicine called stimulants that can also be used to treat binge eating disorder (BED). This helps lessen the number of binge eating days. This is an FDA-approved medication that helps restore the balance of certain natural chemicals in the brain called neurotransmitters. This also lessens restlessness in children and adults who are overactive or hyperactive.
How does Lisdexamfetamine Dimesylate work?
Lisdexamfetamine Dimesylate works by affecting some of the natural chemicals that are found in the brain. It increases the activity of chemicals called noradrenaline and dopamine in areas of the brain that play a part in controlling attention and behavior. These areas seem to be underactive in children with ADHD. Increasing the activity of these chemicals improves the function of these underactive parts of the brain. This medication works effectively to help some children learn to control their behavior.
How is Lisdexamfetamine Dimesylate taken?
This medicine comes as a capsule to be taken by mouth, usually once a day in the morning. Each dose may be taken with or without food. Take Lisdexamfetamine Dimesylate at around the same time every day. Do not take it in the late afternoon or evening because it may cause staying asleep or difficulty falling asleep. Take this medication exactly as directed.
You may swallow the capsule as a whole or open it, sprinkle the entire contents into a glass of water, yogurt, or orange juice. Stir to dissolve and swallow the mixture right away. Do not store the mixture for future use, and do not divide the contents of one capsule into more than one dose. Your doctor will probably start you on a low dose and increase your dose gradually. Your doctor may decrease your dose if you experience unpleasant side effects.
What are the side effects of Lisdexamfetamine Dimesylate?
- Weight loss
- Decreased appetite
- Dry mouth
- Sleep problems
- Stomach or abdominal pain
- Blurred vision
What are the precautions in taking Lisdexamfetamine Dimesylate?
- Before taking this medication, tell your doctor if you have any medical history or current medications. Tell also if you have any allergies.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breastfeeding. If you become pregnant while taking Lisdexamfetamine Dimesylate, call your doctor.
- If there are any allergic reactions occur, call for medical help right away.
- You should know that this drug should be used as part of a total treatment program for ADHD which may include special education and counseling. Make sure to follow all of your therapist’s and doctor’s instructions.
- This may not be recommended if you have liver or kidney disease.
- Keep this drug far from heat and moisture.