Harvoni (Ledipasvir and Sofosbuvir) is used to treat chronic hepatitis C. It is also used in viral infection of the liver. Long-lasting hepatitis C infection may cause liver cancer. It may also cause serious liver problems such as cirrhosis. This drug may sometimes be used with another antiviral medication like ribavirin.
Howdoes Harvoni (Ledipasvir and Sofosbuvir) work?
Harvoni active ingredients are Ledipasvir and Sofosbuvir. Sofosbuvir is converted to an active form in the body before it is effective. The active form of sofosbuvir directly blocks replication of the HCV. It is by interfering with a hepatitis C virus enzyme called NS5B. Ledipasvir is an inhibitor of another hepatitis C virus enzyme. In which it is also needed for viral replication.
Bothdrugs in Harvoni interfere with enzymes needed. It is by the hepatitis C virusto multiply and make new viruses. Thus, it reduces the overall viral load.
Whyuse Harvoni (Ledipasvir and Sofosbuvir)?
Harvoni is a fixed-dose combination tablet that has Ledipasvir and Sofosbuvir. Ledipasvir is an HCV NS5A inhibitor. Sofosbuvir is a nucleotide inhibitor of HCV NS5B polymerase.
This product is supplied astablets for oral administration. Each tablet has 90 mg of Ledipasvir and 400 mgof Sofosbuvir. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved this in2014.
Howto use Harvoni (Ledipasvir and Sofosbuvir)?
The recommended dosage is based on your medical condition and response to it. It is important to take it exactly as it is prescribed. Remember to take it in the same way and at the same time each day.
It is to be taken by mouthusually once a day. You may take it with or without food. Tell your doctor ifyou vomit after taking the drug within 5 hours. You may need to take anotherdose.
Whatare the side-effects of Harvoni (Ledipasvir and Sofosbuvir)?
- Do not suddenly stop or change the dosage of this medication without prescription from your doctor. It may cause some complications.
- Even if symptoms disappear after a short period of time, continue to take the drug for the full length of time.
- This prescription is only used when clearly needed during pregnancy. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor.
- Call for medical help right away if there are signs of an allergic reaction.
- If you are breastfeeding women, talk with your doctor first.
- Keep this far from the reach of children.