Enzalutamide is an anti-androgen medicine used for the treatment of prostate cancer. This is a prescription already approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
Prostatecancer happens in the prostate which is a small walnut-shapedgland in men that creates the seminal fluid. Prostate cancer is one of the mostcommon types of cancer in men. Usually, prostate cancer grows slowly and isinitially confined to the prostate gland, where it may not cause serious harm.However, while some types of prostate cancer grow slowly and may need minimalor even no treatment, other types are aggressive and can spread quickly. Moreadvanced prostate cancer may cause signs and symptoms such as:
- Trouble urinating
- Blood in semen
- Decreased force in the stream of urine
- Discomfort in the pelvic area
- Erectile dysfunction
- Bone pain
You canreduce your risk of prostate cancer if you:
- Choose a healthy diet full offruits and vegetables
Avoidhigh-fat foods and instead focus on choosing a variety of fruits, vegetables,and whole grains. Fruits and vegetables contain many vitamins and nutrientsthat can contribute to your health. Whether you can prevent prostate cancerthrough diet has yet to be conclusively proved. But eating a healthy diet with avariety of fruits and vegetables can improve your overall health.
- Choose healthy foods oversupplements
Nostudies have shown that supplements play a role in reducing your risk ofprostate cancer. Instead, choose foods that are rich in vitamins and mineralsso that you can maintain healthy levels of vitamins in your body.
- Exercise most days of the week
Exerciseimproves your overall health. It helps you maintain your weight and improvesyour mood. Try to exercise most days of the week. If you’re new to exercise,start slow, and work your way up to more exercise time each day.
- Maintain a healthy weight
If yourpresent weight is healthy, work to maintain it by exercising most days of theweek. If you need to lose weight, add more exercise, and reduce the number ofcalories you eat each day.
- Talk to your doctor about theincreased risk of prostate cancer
Men witha high risk of prostate cancer may consider medications or other treatments toreduce their risk.
Doctorsknow that prostate cancer begins when some cells in your prostate becomeabnormal. Mutations in the abnormal cells’ DNA cause the cells to grow morerapidly than normal cells do. The abnormal cells continue living when othercells would die. The accumulating abnormal cells form a tumor that can grow toinvade nearby tissue. Some abnormal cells can also break off and spread toother parts of the body.
How doesEnzalutamide work?
Prostatecancers are sensitive to testosterone and their growth is increased in thepresence of this hormone. Testosterone is produced by the adrenal glands, thetesticles, and by cells in the prostate tumor itself. Standard treatment forprostate cancer that has spread beyond the prostate gland involves stopping theproduction of testosterone by the testicles. It is to let slow the growth ofthe cancer cells. This is usually achieved with medicines called LHRH orgonadorelin analogs or with surgery to the testicles. However, for some men,this treatment does not work because even when testosterone levels have been reducedto undetectable levels, signals from the testosterone receptors can still causecancer to progress.
Enzalutamideis used for prostate cancers that are resistant to medical or surgicalcastration as described above. It works by blocking several steps in theandrogen signaling pathway, including stopping testosterone from acting on theandrogen receptors on the cancer cells. This decreases the growth of prostatecancer cells. This can also kill the cancer cells and cause the tumor toshrink.
How to useEnzalutamide?
Enzalutamideshould be swallowed whole with a full glass of water. Do not chew or open thecapsules. The capsules can be taken either with or without a meal/snack. Theusual dose is four capsules taken once a day, at the same time each day.However, it is important to follow the instructions given by your doctor. Yourdose may need to be reduced if you experience side effects.
If youforget to take your dose of this prescription at your usual time, you shouldtake it as soon as you remember. However, if you miss a dose for a whole day,just leave out the missed dose and take your next dose, as usual, the followingday. Don’t take a double dose to make up for a missed dose.
- Back pain
- Joint or muscle pain
- Hot flashes
- Muscle weakness or stiffness
- Feeling tired
- Swelling in your hands or feet
- Burning pain, numbness, or prickly feeling under your skin
- Dry skin
- Cold symptoms such as sneezing, sore throat, or stuffy nose
Let yourdoctor know if you have:
- Trouble walking or standing up
- Pain or weakness in your lower body
- Severe lower back pain
- Increased blood pressure
- Sudden loss of bladder or bowel control
- Tell your doctor and pharmacist what prescription and non-prescription medications, nutritional supplements, or vitamins you are taking or plan to take.
- You should know that this medication may decrease fertility in men. However, you should not assume that your female partner cannot become pregnant. If your partner is pregnant, you must use a condom whenever you have sex during your treatment with Enzalutamide. If your partner is not pregnant but could become pregnant, you must use a condom and another form of birth control whenever you have sex during your treatment and for 3 months after your final dose.
- You should know that this drug may cause seizures. Do not drive a car or operate machinery until you know how this medication affects you.
- Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of reach of children. Store it at room temperature and away from excess heat and moisture.
- It is important to keep all medication out of sight and reach of children. Many containers are not child-resistant and young children can open them easily.