Elmiron (Pentosan Polysulfate Sodium) is indicated for the treatment of pain and discomfort from a certain bladder disorder or called interstitial cystitis. It is a chronic bladder issue. It is a feeling of pain and pressure in the bladder area.
This medication is a weak ‘blood thinner’. This may also increase the risk of bruising/bleeding.
How does Elmiron (Pentosan Polysulfate Sodium) work?
Elmiron (Pentosan Polysulfate Sodium) is a polymer of xylose hydrogen sulfate. It contains two sulfate groups per carbohydrate monomer. It binds Fibroblast growth factors (FGFs) and also the other heparin-binding growth factors.
This medication may work by forming a layer on the bladder wall and protecting it from harmful/irritating substances in the urine.
Why use Elmiron (Pentosan Polysulfate Sodium)?
Elmiron (Pentosan Polysulfate Sodium) is a low molecular weight heparin-like compound. It contains anticoagulant and fibrinolytic effects. This drug is supplied in white opaque hard gelatin capsules for oral use. It contains 100mg of Pentosan Polysulfate Sodium. It is also the active ingredient of this product. This medication was approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 1996.
How to use Elmiron (Pentosan Polysulfate Sodium)?
The recommended dosage is based on your medical condition and response.
This medication is to be taken by mouth at least 1 hour before or 2 hours after meals. It is usually taken 3 times a day or as directed by your doctor. To help you remember, take it at the same time each day.
Use this regularly to get the most benefit from it. Follow the prescription of your doctor very carefully. Do not take it more often than prescribed. Let your doctor know if your condition worsens or does not improve after 3 months.
What are the side-effects of Elmiron (Pentosan Polysulfate Sodium)?
Common side effects:
- Hair loss
- Abdominal pain
- Stomach upset or pain
- Itching or skin rash
- Depressed mood
Warnings and Precautions
- Before using this drug, let your doctor know if you have any medical history or current medication/treatments.
- Tell your doctor if you are allergic to it or if you have any allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients that may cause an allergic reaction.
- You should not share this with others even if they have the same symptoms as yours.
- This should be used only when clearly needed for pregnant women. If you are breastfeeding women, consult your doctor first before taking this drug.
- Keep this at a dry and clean place, away from heat and moisture.