Desirudin for Injection helps prevent the formation of blood clots. This is used to prevent a type of blood clot called deep vein thrombosis (DVT). It is a harmful condition that forms in the blood vessels of the legs. These blood clots may travel to the lungs and become lodged in the blood vessels of the lungs. Desirudin is used after a hip replacement surgery. It is during this time that blood clots are most likely to happen.
How does Desirudin work?
Desirudin is a direct inhibitor of free circulating and clot-bound thrombin. The anticoagulant properties of this medicine are demonstrated by its capability to prolong the clotting time of human plasma. One molecule of Desirudin binds to one molecule of thrombin. Thereby, this blocks the thrombogenic activity of thrombin. As an outcome, all thrombin-dependent coagulation assays are affected.
Why use Desirudin for Injection?
Desirudin is known as a ‘blood thinner’ or also called as an anticoagulant. This helps to block certain natural substances in the blood that causes clotting. This product is supplied as a white, sterile, and freeze-dried powder for injection. Each vial has 15.7g mg of Desirudin which is equivalent to 15 mg. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved this prescription.
How to use Desirudin for Injection?
Desirudin is to be injected under the skin. Sit or lie downwhen injecting the drug. This is given by a healthcare professional or by your doctor.
This is a powder medicine that must be mixed with a liquid before using it. Gently swirl the medicine to mix. Do not shake. The medication is usually given every 12 hours for up to 12 days after your surgery. You need to use only the syringe and needle provided with this product. Check visually for particles or discoloration before using the product.
What are the side-effects of Desirudin for Injection?
- Injection site reactions (swelling, pain, orredness)
- Bleeding from wounds or needle injections
- Urine that looks pink, red, or brown
Warnings and Precautions
- Before using this medication, tell your doctor aboutthe medical history that you have.
- This product may contain some ingredient that leadsto an allergic reaction. Let your doctor know if you have allergies.
- Consult your doctor first if you are pregnant or breastfeedingwomen.
- You should learn how to keep and discard needles andmedical supplies safely.