Where is Bupropion HCL used and how it works?
Bupropion HCL is a type of medicine called an antidepressant. This is used for the treatment of depression and seasonal affective disorder (SAD). This medication treats the illness by restoring the balance of certain natural substances in the brain. This can improve your mood and feelings of well-being. Bupropion HCL is an FDA-approved medication that works by inhibiting the reuptake of dopamine, serotonin, and norepinephrine. This shows an action that results in more norepinephrine, dopamine, and serotonin to transmit messages to other nerves.
This prescription can also be used in helping smokers to give up smoking. This is suitable for use in smokers aged 18 years and over. It is known that Bupropion HCL increases the levels of two neurotransmitters called dopamine and noradrenaline in the brain. These neurotransmitters are known to be involved in modulating behavior and mood. Bupropion HCL does appear to help decrease your desire to smoke and helps you enhance your ability to not give in to cravings.
How to use Bupropion HCL?
Take this medication by mouth with or without food as directed by your doctor. This is usually taken once a day in the morning. If you have stomach upset, you may take this medication with or after a meal. Taking this late in the day may cause trouble sleeping. Take this medication regularly to get the most benefit from it. To help you remember, take it at the same time each day.
The dosage is based on your condition, age, liver function, and response to the treatment. To lessen your risk of side effects, your doctor may direct you to start this medication at a low dose and slowly increase it. Do not use this drug more often or increase your dose more than it is prescribed. Do not stop taking this medication without consulting your doctor. Your dosage might need to be gradually decreased. It can take 4 weeks or longer before you get the best benefit of this medication.
What are the side effects of Bupropion HCL?
Common side effects:
- Dry mouth
- Stomach pain
- Changes in appetite
- Sore throat
Tell your doctor if you have unlikely but serious side effects:
- Chest pain
- Irregular heartbeat
- Muscle aches
- Severe headaches
- Unusual weight loss or gain
What are the precautions is taking Bupropion HCL?
- This drug may cause seizures especially in people with certain medical conditions or when using certain drugs. Let your doctor know all about your medical condition and the drugs you use.
- This is not recommended for use if you are allergic to the drug.
- To make sure that this prescription is safe for you, let your doctor know if you ever had a head injury, diabetes, heart disease, kidney or liver disease.
- Ask your doctor about taking this medicine if you are pregnant. Inform your doctor right away if you get pregnant while having this treatment. Do not start or stop taking Bupropion HCL without the consent of your doctor.