Amantadine Hydrochloride is a prescription used for the treatment of Parkinson’s disease.
Parkinson’sdisease affects the movement and is a progressive nervoussystem disorder. The symptoms begin slowly and sometimes it starts with abarely noticeable tremor in just one hand. Tremors are common but the disorderalso commonly causes stiffness or slowing of movement. For some people withParkinson’s disease are detected when they are 60 years old or older, butearly-onset Parkinson’s disease also occurs. Here are some early signs ofParkinson’s disease;
- Movement – there may be a tremor in the hands.
- Gait – the person’s posture may change so that they lean forward slightly as if they were hurrying. They may also develop a shuffling gait.
- Coordination – a reduced sense of coordination and balance can cause people to drop items they are holding. They may be more likely to fall.
- Facial expression – this can become fixed, due to changes in the nerves that control facial muscles.
- Handwriting – this may become more cramped and smaller.
- Voice – there may be a tremor in the voice, or the person may speak more softly than before.
- Sleep problems – these are a feature of Parkinson’s, and they may be an early sign. Restless legs may contribute to this.
- Sense of smell – a loss of sense of smell can be an early sign.
Othercommon symptoms may include:
- Difficulty chewing and swallowing
- Mood changes
- Problems with urination
- Sleep problems
- Skin problems
The Foodand Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved this medication. AmantadineHydrochloride helps restore the balance of certain natural substances in thebrain. This comes as a tablet for oral use with the dosage strength of 100mg.
How doesAmantadine Hydrochloride work?
Thismedication works in different actions that allow it to control some of thesymptoms of the disease.
First, itincreases the activity of a neurotransmitter called dopamine in the brain.Neurotransmitters are natural body chemicals that are involved in transmittingmessages between nerve cells. Dopamine is known to be reduced or absent in thebrains of people with Parkinson’s disease. This is thought to be the main causeof the disease’s symptoms. By increasing the release of dopamine in the brain,Amantadine Hydrochloride replaces some of the lost dopamine. Therefore, itreduces some of the symptoms of the disease.
AmantadineHydrochloride also has a mild anticholinergic effect. This means it preventsthe activity of a neurotransmitter called acetylcholine. There is usually abalance between the activity of dopamine and the activity of acetylcholine inthe brain. On the other hand, in Parkinson’s disease, the deficit of dopaminecauses overactivity of acetylcholine. By decreasing the activity of theacetylcholine, this medication helps restore the balance of acetylcholine anddopamine in the brain. This as well helps reduce some of the symptoms.
Thismedication also affects a third neurotransmitter called glutamate. Glutamate isa neurotransmitter that acts as a natural ‘nerve-exciting’ agent. Overactivityof this neurotransmitter is also thought to play a role in causing the symptomsof Parkinson’s disease. Amantadine Hydrochloride blocks the receptors in thebrain that glutamate usually acts on.
AmantadineHydrochloride has a mild effect against some of the symptoms of Parkinson’sdisease. But, after some time, several people find that the same dose becomesless effective and therefore its use may be limited. At times, theeffectiveness can be restored if the medicine is stopped for a while and thenrestarted. You should tell your doctor if you notice this medication has becomeless effective. Amantadine Hydrochloride is usually used in combination withother medicines for the treatment of Parkinson’s disease.
How touse Amantadine Hydrochloride?
This isto be taken by mouth usually once a day. You may take each dose with or withoutfood. Swallow the tablet as a whole. Do not break or crush it. Doing so canrelease the entire drug at once and increase the risk of side effects. Thedosage is based on your medical condition and response to the treatment.
Rememberto take this medication at the same time each day. For the best benefit, do notsuddenly stop taking this without the consent of your doctor. Your conditionmay get worse if this is suddenly stopped or if your dose is quickly decreased.Take Amantadine Hydrochloride exactly as it is prescribed. If you missed adose, call your doctor for instructions. Let your doctor know if your conditiondoes not improve or if it gets worse.
What arethe side effects of Amantadine Hydrochloride?
- Stomach upset
- Loss of appetite
- Strange dreams
- Sleep problems
- Dry mouth
- Nervous feeling
- Dry nose
- Loss of balance or coordination
- Blurred vision
Call yourdoctor right away if these side effects occur:
- Vision changes
- Difficulty urinating
- Swelling of the ankles or feet
- Purplish-red blotchy spots on the skin
- This medicine may cause dizziness or blurred vision that could affect your ability to perform hazardous activities safely. You should take extra care when driving until you know how it affects you.
- Use this with caution in people with liver or kidney disorders, a history of disease that involves the heart and blood vessels, or in people with an underlying condition like schizophrenia.
- This is not recommended for use in people with severe kidney disease, who suffer from fits, who have a history of stomach ulcers, or untreated closed-angle glaucoma.
- Certain medicines should not be used during breastfeeding or pregnancy. However, other medicines may be safely used in breastfeeding or pregnancy providing the benefits to the mother outweighs the risks to the unborn baby. Let your doctor if you are planning a pregnancy or pregnant, before taking any medication.
- If you are taking any other medications including vitamins or herbal/food supplements, inform it to your doctor.
- Tell as well to your doctor if you have ever had an allergic reaction to Amantadine Hydrochloride or if you have any allergies. This medication may contain an inactive ingredient that causes an allergic reaction.