Basic information About Alendronate Tablet
Alendronate is an oral prescription. It’s a drug prescribed for patients with osteoporosis. This treatment used to treat osteoporosis in men and women. Alendronate helps to maintain a strong bone. It reduces a person’s risk to fractures/broken bones. This medicine also helps to treat a bone condition such as “Paget’s Disease”.
Alendronate is a treatment used for the following conditions:
- It’s a treatment for Increase Bone Mass in Men with Osteoporosis
- A treatment for Paget’s disease of Bone
- A treatment for Glucocorticoid-Induced Osteoporosis
- Treatment for Osteoporosis in Postmenopausal Women
- Prevents Osteoporosis in Postmenopausal Women
How does it work?
Alendronate works to slow down the process of bone that is being removed. It allows the new bone to rebuild a normal bone. It prevents a person’s risk to bone fractures due to the condition. Alendronate also works to prevent the bone breakdown. It helps to increase the density/thickness of the bone.
How much to take?
Follow the right dosage as prescribed by your doctor. Do not overuse or take more of it. It may take your risk to side effects. The usual dosage of alendronate is one tablet per week. The tablet may come in different strengths. The dosage will depend on your doctor and your condition.
How to take?
Alendronate is an oral prescription that you need to take by mouth. Take this drug as prescribed by your doctor. Follow the instruction stated on the label carefully. Take alendronate in the morning. Take it 30 minutes before an intake of food or drinking other medicines. Take this drug once at the same time each week. Never forget to take this in the morning. Swallow it as a whole with a glass of water. Do not lie down right away after taking this drug. Do not skip a dose to achieve the best results.
The following are some possible side effects of the drug. It may include such as:
- Acid reflux
- Stomach pain
- Muscle pain
- Joint pain
- Chest pain
- Trouble swallowing
If this symptom continues to get worse visit your doctor right away.
Warning and Precaution
- Do not take Alendronate if you’re allergic to its ingredient.
- Limit/avoid an intake of alcohol while taking this drug.
- Do not take this drug if you have esophagus problems.
- Alendronate is not prescribed for people younger than 18 years old.
- Do not chew or crush the drug.
- Some drugs may interact with this medicine. Inform your doctor if you’re taking other supplements.
- If you’re pregnant or lactating consult your doctor before taking this drug.
- Finish the entire course of medicine.