Absorbable Gelatin Sponge (Gelfoam Sponge) is a;
- Pliable product
This is intended for application to bleeding surfaces. Gelfoam Sponge is used as a hemostatic and it is a therapeutic method.
Why use Absorbable Gelatin Sponge (Gelfoam Sponge)?
Absorbable Gelatin Sponge (Gelfoam Sponge) is commonly used in otosurgery. This is capable of absorbing and holding its meshes many times. This product is highly absorbent. It holds many times its weight in blood. It is also completely absorbed within four to six weeks. Gelfoam Sponge is already approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
How does Absorbable Gelatin Sponge (Gelfoam Sponge) work?
Gelfoam Sponge has hemostatic properties. When it is applied to bleeding areas of the rectal, nasal, or vaginal mucosa, it will completely liquefy for only 2 to 5 days. Its effects appear to be more physical than the result of altering the blood clotting mechanism. The absorption will depend on the amount of use. When implanted in tissues, the sponge is completely absorbed for about 4 to 6 weeks. It happens when you did not induce excessive scar tissue. It will also depend on the amount of saturation with blood or other fluids and the position of usage.
How to use Absorbable Gelatin Sponge (Gelfoam Sponge)?
Use only the prescribed quantity of Gelfoam Sponge. Cut the appropriate size and place it on the affected area. If your doctor gave you an instruction, follow it promptly.
What are the side-effects of Absorbable Gelatin Sponge (Gelfoam Sponge)?
The following are the side-effects that may occur while you are using Gelfoam Sponge:
- Blood clots
- Abscess formation
- Foreign body reactions
- Encapsulation of fluid
If these side effects continue or worsen, contact your doctor right away.
Warnings and Precautions
Here are the things that you need to be precautious with while using Gelfoam Sponge:
- Gelfoam Sponge should be discarded if the original seal is missing or damaged.
- Do not use too much to achieve hemostasis.
- Avoid using this product if there is an infection.
- This is not recommended to be saturated with an antibiotic solution or dusted with antibiotic powder.
- Stop using Gelfoam Sponge if there is an allergic reaction.
- Absorbable Gelatin Sponge (Gelfoam Sponge) is supplied as a sterile product. It cannot be resterilized.
- This is not intended as a temporary for a meticulous medical method.
- Keep this away from the reach of children.